the traveling companion



I was feeling the burden of life, so I headed to a local monastery for some time of quiet.  I noticed the light, and it warmed me.  I noticed the life around me and it gave me hope.  However, I still felt I was walking around with twenty suitcases of crap; one filled with shame, an other filled with pain, one filled with obligation, one with disappointment.... and so on.  While each moment would come with some peace and rest, in order to move on from each spot, I would load up all my suitcases and keep walking.  

Then I came along this statue.  I just stood there.  I wondered if I would always feel this tired inside.  I envisioned God reaching out to me and me reaching up to Him.  That is when He spoke.  No, not your hand, give me your luggage... all those bags you seem to be carrying... I want those.  I just stood there.  This sounds like an easy trade, but not for me.  Some of my baggage has become part of my identity.  Some of my bags I have been so accustomed to carrying, they have slowly turned into security blankets.  Feeling my fear, He spoke again.  Do not fear.  My yoke is easy, and my burden is light.  These bags are not for you to carry, they are for me.  We will travel together, and I will carry the luggage.  I began to cry.  I imagined giving Him my bags and the two of us traveling through life together.  I knew there would be moments when we would need to clean out the crap filled bags.  There will be days that He would clean out my shame filled trunk and replace it with self respect.  He would trade my bag of pain with healing. He would fill my bag of obligation with freedom.  He would trade my disappointment with wonder.  But until then, my burden would be light.  

Are there any bags you are carrying?  Is there a trunk of pain or shame you seem to take everywhere you go?   Because, friend, I know an amazing traveling companion.  He is even willing to carry the bags. 


Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,