honestly me

I have been thinking, journaling, wondering, asking, and praying about what it means to be authentically myself.  I wonder if I will ever be brave enough to completely know and love myself wholly.  I know if I cannot be honest with myself about who I am and have grace for what I find, I will never be able to do the same for others.  

Here are some quotes I have been sparking my journaling lately.  




“Silent solitude makes true speech possible and personal. If I am not in touch with my own belovedness, then I cannot touch the sacredness of others. If I am estranged from myself, I am likewise a stranger to others.” 
                                  ~ Brennan Manning



“She was becoming herself and daily casting aside that fictitious self which we assume like a garment with which to appear before the world.” 
                                  ~Kate Chopin 






“First of all, although men have a common destiny, each individual also has to work out his own personal salvation for himself in fear and trembling. We can help one another to find the meaning of life no doubt. But in the last analysis, the individual person is responsible for living his own life and for "finding himself." If he persists in shifting his responsibility to somebody else, he fails to find out the meaning of his own existence. You cannot tell me who I am and I cannot tell you who you are. If you do not know your own identity, who is going to identify you?” 
                                   ~Thomas Merton 





“We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be.” 
                                         ~May Sarton


There must be more quotes or thoughts on this subject.  What are yours?  Do you feel like you are authentically yourself?  




Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,